www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Leucistic Common Gull
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:43 pm 

Had a leucistic Common Gull in a flock 70 feeding on slopes of Foel Ganol near Cyffylliog, sent my heart skipping for a moment until I got my bins on it. A gorgeous bird to see but beware of any reports of a 'white gull'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:52 pm 

I wonder if it's the bird that summers in the Llanfairfechan / Aber area? Always wondered where it went for the winter!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm 

Not sure if anybody visits or does the gull roost at Llyn Brenig regularly but it is quite close to Cyffylliog so might turn up there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 pm 

Here's the one at llanfairechan in the summer. It's been returning here for many years now.

Possible Ivory Gull seen by Dave Astins in the fading light in Pembs this evening! You could see how this common could get a few people going if unawares!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:29 pm 

Hi Marc, Thanx for posting a pic', I did think I might ask if you had one but then as the bird I watched today was quite distant and I only had my bins it would be unlikely I would be able to tell if it was the same individual. That said I thought it had a slight grey wash to the back and mantle and some limited dark areas on primary tips. I was unable to discern bare part colouration. One aspect that was quite interesting was that it chose to sit belly down on the grass when all the other Common Gulls and one Herring Gull were actively walking and probing the grass. When the flock moved over a field I actually watched it in flight to try and discern if its flight was weaker in anyway, wondering if might be ill in someway but it seemed as strong in flight as the others. I have occasionally had Common Gulls quartering throughout the area but this is the first time I have seen birds on the ground on this particular part of Foel Ganol. Obviously the gull flock are transient throughout the area but I have noticed flocks around Ruthin rugby club and south close to the river if anybody, particularly Tom, is birding around there.

Cheers, David