www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:50 pm 

Hi, firstly a big thankyou to the person that gave the directions for Snow buntings at Kinmel Bay, i would never have found them otherwise. Whilst waiting for them to appear yesterday (waiting for dog walkers to leave) i photographed some turnstones beyond the shingle bank. When i got home and started to process pics i saw that one of the birds had a ring on its right leg. by careful jiggery pokery with photoshop i have managed to be fairly confident that it came from Norway. I have sent photos to Stavanger Museum and if they reply i will post their comments. I had hoped to attach the pics to this message but cant see how to!! about an hour after standing in the freezing cold the snow buntings arrived and i couldnt believe how confiding they were. I only had my big lens and at times they were too close and each time i stepped back they hopped towards me. I have put a couple of pics on Bird Forum which if they have gone from main gallery can be seen on my gallery under my name of waterrailus. In addition i saw about a dozen skylarks one of which had only one eye and the biggest flock of oystercatchers i have ever seen, in excess of 200. great day but bloomin cold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm 

Nice one Dennis. I think most people upload images via photobucket. Put a couple on when you suss it out. I'll catch up with you at UW again.... One day.
Best regards, Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:39 pm 

glad you found it dennis and it sounds like my directions were spot on .nice to know they are still there

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:05 pm 

Well an amazing turnround from Stavanger... less than 12 hours later they emailed me back. it was a norwegian turnstone but without more details of the ring they cant ID it precisely. On the oystercatcher count i had quickly videod the scene and by freeze framing i can now say there were approx 450 give or take a few as some couldnt be separated. Obviously dont ask me along to any counts!! I will look at this photobucket malarkey! Back to my own patch today at upton warren where the avocets have returned but looks like the winter claimed our cettis. Coming up to Caernarfon for last week in March so will be looking for some hot spots soon!
All the best Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:00 am 

While we were there Sat pm there was a right leg ringed turnstone feeding on the dead Jellyfish..
http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures ... 1&f=290108
got a few pics of it but have been too busy to work on them
This thread galvanised me into action and the attached is a pic and crop of the detail
Not sure if anything on it helps, assuming even it is the same bird
Can send the Raw file if it is any use
Alan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:39 am 

here are the pics i sent to Stavanger, thanks for the photobucket tip Mike.

Last edited by nikonman500 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:43 am 

for some reason the third picture (different angle of ring detail) wont load
oh well nearly got it right! regards Dennis
dismiss this as i now found what i should be doing!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 pm 

Nikonman, great work with spotting the ringed Turnstone. It was caught today by the SCAN ringing group along with 30 other Turnstone, 61 Sanderling (220+ in the vicinity) and 17 Dunlin. More details to follow on the TS but at least an accurate reading could be got to clinch the recovery. Been as its travelled so far it would have been a shame not to show it some local hospitality!

2 S Bunts still on the Nose today.

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:05 pm 

This is an image of a Turnstone taken at Rhos Point this afternoon. I've not seen one ringed above the knee before, Is this common?
When enlarged the ring shows three rows of text , the middle row is "London" and part of the bottom row says ??SV332??
Best regards, Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:30 pm 

This thread reminded me that Adrian and I had a turnstone at Rhos Point yesterday with just a yellow coloured ring on (I think) left leg with no sign of a BTO ring. Anyone any ideas on this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 pm 

Mike that, i think, is a SCAN ringed bird likely done a few weeks ago. British-ringed turnstones are often ringed above the knee, see the Nordic wasnt, although type of ring used depends too plus the stainless steel rings they used are much more hardwearing.

Not sure about the yellow colour ring- will ask around - maybe there was a metal ring hidden above the knee also?

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:08 am 

Ringing details on the BTO Cymru blog.

www.btocymru.blogspot.com

Kelvin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:27 pm 

Seeing as this thread has been bumped, when are the snow buntings likely to reappear? I hope they've had a productive summer :)