www.northwalesbirding.co.uk

North Wales Birding Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:38 pm 

It was a nice evening and we decided to go and see the Black Grouse Lekking. Using the car as a hide we stopped every half mile along the road from Minera to World's End. Lekking sounds could be heard all around. We spotted a lekk of seven males strutting and jousting and were entertained by them surrounded by their characteristic rolling sound and screeching. Other males occasionally flying in to join the party.
Also good numbers of Meadow Pippets and Stonechats everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:45 pm 

I was in the valley this evening too and can add a common lizard basking in the last of the sun. Not sure of the intentions of the gang of lads up there with boxes of beer and one tent between twenty though...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:28 am 

Sorry to be negative again and perhaps restart the debate but..

I have had an angry e mail from the local game keepers who says that this week he caught 21 people, all together looking for the dartford warbler, most of which had cameras and most of which we NOT ON THE PATHS. No matter how many times people are asked this is simply being ignored. Not sure whether the warbler is still there or not. If it is, which i doubt, then it is a schedule 1 breeding bird so it is a criminal offence to photograph it!! Other ground nesting birds are on eggs so these are also going to be disturbed!

The same game keeper also caught another photographer way out on the open moor. He watched him flush a mallard off her nest, sadly she has not returned and has abandoned her eggs!!! These upland birds have enough problems and most are in significant decline.

There are now some frame filling shots of black grouse on other sites, such as surfbirds. Either these people have enormous camera lenses that have huge zooms or they are simply leaving the road and heading out onto the open moor. In 20 odd years of going up there i have never got (or wanted to) that close to the birds. Again, i could be wrong but these are schedule 1 breeding birds and again should be left alone.

This is a great place and a place we should all be able to enjoy but it will be spoilt by the numbers of people going up there and the bad behaviour of perhaps a significant minority!!

Sorry to bring it all up again but i felt it needed saying.

Kev.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:37 am 

kevinsmith wrote:
Sorry to be negative again and perhaps restart the debate but..

I have had an angry e mail from the local game keepers who says that this week he caught 21 people, all together looking for the dartford warbler, most of which had cameras and most of which we NOT ON THE PATHS. No matter how many times people are asked this is simply being ignored. Not sure whether the warbler is still there or not. If it is, which i doubt, then it is a schedule 1 breeding bird so it is a criminal offence to photograph it!! Other ground nesting birds are on eggs so these are also going to be disturbed!

The same game keeper also caught another photographer way out on the open moor. He watched him flush a mallard off her nest, sadly she has not returned and has abandoned her eggs!!! These upland birds have enough problems and most are in significant decline.

There are now some frame filling shots of black grouse on other sites, such as surfbirds. Either these people have enormous camera lenses that have huge zooms or they are simply leaving the road and heading out onto the open moor. In 20 odd years of going up there i have never got (or wanted to) that close to the birds. Again, i could be wrong but these are schedule 1 breeding birds and again should be left alone.

This is a great place and a place we should all be able to enjoy but it will be spoilt by the numbers of people going up there and the bad behaviour of perhaps a significant minority!!

Sorry to bring it all up again but i felt it needed saying.

Kev.

It's unfortunate that you do Kev, shouldn't be necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 pm 

I was up there this morning the bird was showing well and yes the bird was getting flushed and yes people are going off the footpath into the heather.There was also walkers with dogs running into heather , i don't mean the birder with the well behaved spaniel that never left his side.I don't agree with suppressing bird news but this a very sensitive site and i think the Game keeper and raptor study group field worker who covers the moor are very justified in having a rant. john

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:03 pm 

Was up there yesterday afternoon,took my brother to see the Dartford Warbler we saw it he was happy with the view and we left. There was other birders up there some of whom kept following the bird as it moved along the moor they kept to the track i might add to get pictures. Cannot understand why they need to take so many pictures of the bird, a few record shots but some take hundreds. Just don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

For the good of the birds, the forum admins are now agreed that....

until the end of the breeding season, further reports from World's End and the associated moorland should not be posted on this forum and will be removed without warning if found.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]